How to share WiFi from iPhone to other Apple devices – a simple guide
How to share WiFi on iPhone?
iPhone users often have the query – how can I share WiFi from my iPhone or how to share WiFi passwords on iPhone? If you are also searching for how to share WiFi from iPhone then you have come to the right place.
It is important to have a strong WiFi password so that your network can’t be accessed by just anyone. However, when your friends or family members want to use your WiFi, it can be a tedious job to type in a long password. In this article I have explained how you can easily share WiFi on iPhone with other Apple devices (iPhone or iPad and Macs) without manually typing a password i.e. you won’t have to tell anyone your WiFi password.
Earlier, Apple devices required to download a third-party app to share WiFi network with other Apple devices. However, after update to iOS 11, Apple has come up with a feature that allows you to easily share WiFi on iPhone with other Apple users without using third party apps.
Now let’s see how to share WiFi on iPhone with other Apple devices
How to share WiFi from iPhone to other Apple devices (iPhone or iPad)
To share your WiFi network from your iPhone without texting, emailing, or typing the password, first go through the following steps:
1. Make sure that both the devices (your iPhone and the other person’s Apple device) have the latest version of iOS. This is because sharing your password is only possible with a device that has version iOS 11 or higher.
2. Turn on WiFi and Bluetooth on both the devices;
3. Keep both the devices close by (within Bluetooth and WiFi range);
4. Turn off Personal Hotspot if enabled on any of the devices;
5. Sign into iCloud with your Apple ID;
6. Make sure that the email address you use for your Apple ID is saved in the other person’s Contacts. Also ensure that the email address of the other person is saved in your Contact list;
Now, follow the steps below on how to share WiFi on iPhone with other Apple devices (iPhone or iPad).
1. On the primary iPhone (your iPhone which is sharing the WiFi), go to Settings;
2. Enable ‘WiFi’ and sign in to your WiFi network;
3. Next, go to Settings on the other Apple device and tap WiFi;
4. Select the same WiFi network to which your iPhone is connected;
5. When prompted to enter the password go to your iPhone, open WiFi and tap ‘Share Password’ on the pop-up window (both the devices must be within Bluetooth range) and then tap ‘Done’;
6. Now the other device can connect to the same WiFi network of your iPhone;
How to share WiFi password from iPhone to MacBook
Before you begin, make sure that your iPhone (the one sharing the password) is unlocked and connected to the WiFi network. Next follow the steps below on how to share WiFi password from iPhone to MacBook.
1. Click on the WiFi icon located in the menu bar on the Mac;
2. Select your WiFi network from the list;
3. You don’t need to enter the password on Mac when prompted;
4. When prompted to enter the password go to your iPhone, open WiFi and tap ‘Share Password’ on the pop-up window;
5. Once ‘Share Password’ is tapped on your iPhone, the password on MacBook will be filled automatically;
6. Next, tap ‘Done’ to finish the process;
This will allow the MacBook to connect to the same WiFi network of your iPhone;
Frequently asked questions
Now that I have explained how to share WiFi from iPhone let me also address some of the frequently asked questions relating to iPhone WiFi sharing.
How to share WiFi password from iPhone to Android?
Apple devices don’t have a built-in feature to share iPhone WiFi network password to Android phones. To do this, you need a third-party app to generate a scannable QR (Quick Response) code. Therefore, to share WiFi from your iPhone to Android you’ll need to download a QR code generating app on the iPhone. You can use the Apps like ‘Visual Codes’ or ‘Qrafter’ for this purpose. Launch this app after downloading and create a QR code for your WiFi network’s password.
This is how to share WiFi password from iPhone to Android – Open the QR code on your iPhone and then point the Android phone’s camera at the QR code displayed on your iPhone to scan it. A notification will pop up on the Android phone’s screen asking, if it wants to join iPhone’s WiFi network. Tap this notification and then hit the “Join” button to connect it to the shared WiFi network.
Can I share WiFi password from Mac to iPhone?
Since MacBook and iPhone both are Apple devices WiFi password sharing between them can be done easily without telling your password.
Here’s how to share WiFi password from Mac to iPhone – Connect your MacBook to the WiFi network and place your iPhone close to it. On the iPhone, choose the WiFi network that the MacBook is connected to. On your Mac, you will get a pop-up message requesting access to the WiFi password. Now click ‘Share Password’ option to grant access to the iPhone.
Note that for this process you’ll need to run macOS High Sierra or newer version.
Why can’t I share my WiFi on iPhone?
If you are having problems to share WiFi on iPhone with other devices here are few things you can try:
1. Restart both the devices;
2. Ensure that both the devices have the latest software updates;
3. Disconnect from WiFi and then reconnect;
4. Reset network settings on your iPhone;
5. Reboot the WiFi router;
6. If you still cannot share your WiFi password, have the other person enter the password manually;
After you have gone through how to share WiFi from iPhone described in the post, it should be clear that sharing a WiFi password between Apple devices without manual password entry, is a quick and seamless process. The advantage of this sharing method is that you give access to your WiFi network without explicitly revealing your WiFi password to the other person.
But one important point that needs to be remembered is that Apple added the new feature called ‘Share Your WiFi’ after update to iOS 11. This feature allows you to share the password of your WiFi network only with a device that has iOS 11 or later version as well as macOS High Sierra or later version of MacBooks. Therefore, to share WiFi on iPhone with other Apple devices, you need to make sure that you have the latest version of the Operating Systems running on both the devices. Otherwise, this feature won’t work.
If you know about any other tips, tricks, or helpful resources on how to share WiFi on iPhone with other Apple devices please share the same in the comment section below to help our readers