What are the requirements for writing the trade test? Until the QCTO decides the admission standards anticipated in regulation 2(2)(b), the minimal level of education for admittance to a trade exam will be a learner’s successful completion of the following before, during, or after an artisan learning program:
What Are The Requirements Of A Trade Test?
- N2 Certificate with four relevant subjects (maths, engineering science, and a fourth subject as required by the trade); or Technical trade theory programs quality assured by a SETA as equivalent to NQF level 3; or
- Relevant Engineering NCV Certificate with seven subjects at NQF level 3; or Technical Grade 11 with Maths,
- Science, Language, and related trade theory subject; or Relevant (directly related to the trade theory subjects) N6 certificate or Na (T, S or N stream.)
- In addition to the above-mentioned minimal level of education, the applicant must also possess:
- completed all off-the-job practical training unit standards (for learnerships) or modules (for apprenticeships) of an artisan learning program at a certified training provider, as evidenced by training records
- satisfied the organized workplace, and on-the-job learning requirements for a minimum of 12 months, as evidenced by a workplace learning record (e.g logbook).
The minimal level of knowledge required for recognition of prior learning is a 50% pass in a written knowledge assessment that is part of a NAMB-approved recognition of prior learning toolkit.
Candidates who have not completed a formal artisan learning program but have relevant years of work experience in the linked trade may be permitted access to a trade test until the occupational curriculum and/or RPL toolkits for that craft are developed.
- N2 Certificate with relevant trade theory subjects and a minimum of 3 years relevant work experience; or
- Technical trade theory programs quality assured by a SETA as being at NQF level 3 and a minimum of 3
- years relevant work experience; or Relevant Engineering NCV at NQF level 3 and a minimum of 3 years relevant work experience; or Relevant Engineering NC(V) 4 plus completion of all relevant work experience
- modules and a minimum of 18 months relevant work experience